What are the symptoms of pubic lice (crabs, scabies)?
What to Watch For:
- Severe itching on genitals.
- Crabs: small nits (eggs) on pubic hair, small crab like insects infested in hair.
- Scabies: redness on skin where the mites have
burrowed, itching worse at night.
How You Can Get It:
Spread during human contact and usually direct contact with skin – but lice can be in clothes, on toilet seats, etc. and transferred that way.
Long-term Effects if Untreated:
- Infestation is nasty. It can also make you tired as your immune system tries to fight off the things.
- For lice (crabs), there are over the counter body lice removal products you can buy. They are just simple poisons that kill the insects – but not always the eggs, so you can expect to do a second treatment 5-7 days after the initial one.
- For scabies, you will have to see a doctor to get the creams and potential other medications to cover the infestation.