What are some problems caused by sexual addiction?
Whether you refer to it as sexual compulsivity, sexual addiction or sexual acting out, the issue is not only the sexual behavior itself but also the problems that the addiction causes. Sexual addiction can cause problems in all aspects of your life — physical, legal, financial and vocational. The addiction can also impact negatively on your relationships with friends, family and partners. A sexual addict may display one or more of the following problems:
- Recurrent, intense sexually arousing urges, impulses or behavior that causes psychological stress.
- Continued display of sexual behavior despite a desire to reduce or terminate such behavior.
- Arrests for illegal sexual behavior including prostitution, indecent exposure, voyeurism, selling or buying child pornography, or sexual acts with a minor.
- Financial problems due to excess money spent on sexually oriented pursuits (e.g., pornography, online sex, phone sex, prostitution, etc.).
- A significant decrease in important social, recreational or occupational activities because they interfere with sexual activities.
- A propensity to engage in additional high-risk behaviors including unprotected sex and drug and alcohol abuse.
- Contracting frequent and/or multiple sexually transmitted diseases (i.e., HIV, syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc.).
- Continuation of sexual behavior despite persistent physical, legal, financial, vocational, social or relationship problems directly caused by the sexual behaviors.