How do I treat acne?
Acne results when oil ducts below the skin get clogged with secretions and bacteria. The problem of acne persists into adulthood for many guys. Factors that help cause acne include:
- Hormone changes during adolescence
- Heavy or greasy lotions or makeup
- Emotional stress
- Nutritional suppliements that have iodine
- Exposure to cooking oils, tar or creasote
- Putting pressure on your face for prolonged amounts of time.
- Medications like steroids, anticonvulsive medications and lithium
Some ways to combat ance at home include the following:
- Keep you skin clean. Using a clean washcloth every time, work the soap into your skin gently for a minute or two and rinse well. Never scrub your skin.
- Try an astringent lotion, de-greasing pads or a facial.
- Ask your doctor for the name of a good acne soap.
- Leave you skin alone! Don’t squeeze, scrath or poke at pimples. The can get infected and leave scars if you pick at them.
- Use an over-the-counter lotion or cream that has benzoyl peroxide. Follow the listed instructions.
- Wash after you exercise or sweat.
- Wash your hair at least twice a week and keep if off your face.
- Wrap a warm towel around your face before you shave. This will make your beard softer. Always shave the way the hair grows.
- Don’t spend too much time in the sun. Ask your doctor about use of tanning beds.
- Use only water-based makeup. Avoid using greasy or oily creams, lotions or makeups.